Wednesday, December 3, 2008

real or fake?

We've had a big decision to make in our house this season. Well, I've been more consumed with it than anyone else, but I've dragged Nick into it. What to do about our tree situation. I love a fresh tree, but the practical side of me kept kicking in saying, "$70 a year is a lot to pay when we can be happy being fake tree people." There are some people, like Kevin Albert or Jed Hancock, that I could never picture as fake tree people, but I could see us enjoying the ease of the pre-lit, no watering, and no needles lifestyle. So, I was at Costco with Nick's mother on Saturday and saw a fake tree ($50 off so it was less than $200). It was beautiful. White lights that they say will never burn out. 7.5 ft. tall-perfect with our new tall ceilings. I called Nick and he said, "Well, I'd like to see it first". I've now learned, if there is something at Costco that you want...buy it right then. You can always return it. The short of it is that we went back on Monday night and they were all gone. I was so sad...but it turned out perfect because...

We really do want to be real tree people. We want Joshua and any other children that come our way down the road to have the fun of going to the lot, or if we get daring someday, going and hunting for our own out in the woods. We want them to count the rings when we cut the bottom off to see how old the tree was. We want them to walk in the house and smell the pine. We want them to see us struggle getting it straight in the stand. We want them to hear the vacuum picking up needles everyday. We want them to be in charge of keeping it watered. All the joys of the real Christmas tree.

Joshua was so excited when we brought it home. At first he just ran around and around it. Then got brave and put his face in it. Who knows the excitement tomorrow will bring when there are lights and ornaments on it. I sang "Oh Christmas Tree" as Nick put it up. Both Joshie and Nick thought I was a little crazy.


3 I've got something to say:

Dava_Hudson said...

20 bucks at home depot for a nice REAL tree!

KrishasKrew said...

Yah for real trees!! There is something about picking out the "right" tree each year, it is just part of Christmas, isn't it?! I love the pictures!!

Carlson Clan said...

I've been having that same dilemma! I went the cheap way though and got fake...I figure once we have a house (whenever that is..) we'll either get a really nice fake one or a real one! Oh and I think I still have your email address so I'll email you my regular address!